Sunday, April 12, 2015

B writes: Why I Write

A series of questions I found on Gala Darling that instantly intrigued me, and I knew I had to answer them for myself.

Because why do I write?

Why?

WHY DO I WRITE?

Because I can’t not write. Because I can’t not tell a story some how, some way. I have so much to say, and so many ways to say it – art, photography, creating with my hands – but in the end, I can’t not write about it.

It’s like the story is too big and too grand to be captured just by one medium, and each different medium adds another layer to this great big story I call ‘Life’. 

So I create, I share my stories, and I hope that somehow the message gets across…

There is something out there, something that is bigger than we see. Something that inspires us, that drives us, that pushes and pulls us to grow, change, explore, create, expand, implode, fall down and begin all over again.

There’s life. There’s hope.

And those two things are the fundamental elements of my creative ‘me’. Story telling just happens to naturally blossom from those two core truths I know, and writing just happens to naturally blossom from my desire to tell a story.

So I write because I must.

HOW DO I WRITE?

Sporadically. It’s kind of sad. I’m not even close to any sort of rhythm or routine. I know that all professional writers talk about dedicating certain hours of the day, or making sure to hit a certain number of words, but I don’t do that. In fact, I’m the worst kind of writer…

The one who waits for inspiration to strike!

Ruh-Rho…

Please don’t follow my example!  I write when I have a blog post to write, but it’s never on the same day week to week.  I write when I have something I need to remember, or a story to tell. I work on my books when I need too. Nanowrimo was great for getting me into a regular routine, but I couldn’t keep it up for long. I had really bad tendonitis after trying to write 1,000 words a day for a month. Ouch.

Basically, I write when I want to. But it’s a least once a week, so I am writing regularly if it comes to that – just not once-a-day-regularly.

HOW DOES MY WRITING DIFFER FROM OTHERS IN ITS GENRE?

Hmm. This is a super great question. Mostly because I’m not sure, but let me think…

I think our writing is different from other books that I’ve read in the same space opera genre, mostly because of our faith, and how that shapes our world view, and consequentially, our writing.  

There’s always a theme of hope, and something greater that’s out there – referring to God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ. We want to make people think about their world view and why they believe what they do. Questions always lead to answers when your heart is truly seeking, and we hope to that by provoking the questions our readers can find an answer that satisfies their soul.

HOW DO I GET PAST WRITER’S BLOCK?

I… don’t.  No, really. I just move onto another project and wait for the writer’s block to dissolve. Sometimes this works really well, and sometimes it doesn't. I think the best approach to writer’s block has a lot to do with whether or not you are a professional writer, or a part-time writer like myself.

I PASS THE PEN TO…

Alethia!

I pass the pen to any writer out there who would like to answer these questions themselves. Go ahead – tell us - why do you write?

b.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis